[asterisk-dev] Why are the DAHDI Kernel modules not part of the Kernel?

François Delawarde fdelawarde at wirelessmundi.com
Wed Apr 14 06:17:56 CDT 2010

> Everytime I update my Linux Kernel and I have to update the DAHDI
> modules I wonder why they are not part of the Linux kernel. I think
> meanwhile they are stable enough to be included in Linux - or are there
> legal issues?

It would be worth a try now that the kernel and userspace parts are
clearly separated, and that dahdi is now quite stable. Also Linux now
has some staging area for new drivers and dahdi should be good enough to
be included there.

Quite a few distribution have good packages for dahdi modules, so maybe
the inclusion into mainline is not considered a huge priority?

François.