[asterisk-dev] GSoC2010: Complete the ast_storage project for voicemail

John Khvatov ivaxer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 17:53:06 CDT 2010

Hello Tilghman,

Sorry for delay. Thank you for reply.

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 02:20:09PM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Thursday 01 April 2010 09:36:22 John Khvatov wrote:
> > I would like to apply for GSoC 2010. I've read a list of ideas and I've
> > chosen the 'ast_storage' project. I'm studying the source code of
> > 'ast_storage' branch at the moment.
> >
> > The project aims to create a storage engine with several backends for
> > use in asterisk applications. This engine will allow to write a storage
> > independed code in an application, select a storage backend type at
> > run-time (optionally per-user), add new storage backend without modifying
> > a core application code.
> >
> > As part of the project planned to rewrite app_voicemail with
> > ast_storage engine. Currently all storage methods are implemented in
> > the app_voicemail code and single storage method is selected at
> > compile-time.
>
> Welcome and thank you for contacting us prior to student application time.
> I'd like to see your thoughts on the current approach, how you think the
> design needs to be altered initially, and your ideas for unit testing the
> implementation.  I'm excited that someone has chosen this project, and I hope
> that you put forth a compelling proposal.

I've studied most of the code relating to the ast_storage project. So, I
think that the current approach solves the project tasks.

I think, for unit testing we should use mock engines for each complex storage
type. I propose to use a text odbc driver for odbc backend and simple
IMAP server in twisted for IMAP backend. I plan to use the asterisk testsuite
to test the code.

My plan for the project.
* Implement and test storage backends.
* Rewrite the app_voicemail with ast_storage.

--
WBR, John Khvatov