[asterisk-dev] ISDN Calling/Caller/Redirecting Subaddress support work.

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Thu Sep 24 13:09:45 CDT 2009

I have been planning to get minimal support for subaddressing in asterisk core before 1.6.3 is branched to minimize the impact of binary incompatibility from changes to the ast_channel structure.  The channel drivers could later be enhanced to use the subaddressing information.  I just have not had time to work on it yet.

I have been thinking that:
CALLERID(subaddr) - Set/read caller id subaddress (Will be interpreted as ASCII hex if the subaddress type is user_specified because it is likely BCD encoded.)
CALLERID(subaddr-valid) - Set/read  Setting any other field will make this true.  Setting to false will invalidate the other subaddress fields and probably should reinitialize them.
CALLERID(subaddr-type) - Set/read caller id subaddress type (nsap/user_specified)
CALLERID(subaddr-odd) - Set/read caller id subaddress odd/even indicator (true/false for odd/even)

CONNECTEDLINE would be extended the same as CALLERID.

REDIRECTING would be extended in a similar manner but with the to/from party indicator prefixed:
to-subaddr, to-subaddr-valid, to-subaddr-type, to-subaddr-odd
from-subaddr, from-subaddr-valid, from-subaddr-type, from-subaddr-odd

The actual use of subaddr with REDIRECTING is somewhat problematical since ISDN does not define any specific subaddressing ie's for redirection.  ISDN exchanges the subaddresses for redirection separately.  I have been thinking that the REDIRECTING function may not actually need support for subaddressing because of when ISDN sends the subaddressing updates.  The updates would turn into CONNECTEDLINE updates instead.

The asterisk core updates should follow how the ast_party_id_xxx() functions in channel.c behave with similar ast_party_subaddress_xxx() functions as needed.

I'll create an asterisk/team/rmudgett/subaddr branch from trunk with the appropriate changes to the ast_channel structure so you would have something to start with.  I'll also create a libpri/team/rmudgett/subaddr branch from libpri/branches/1.4.  You can use https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=15604 to post patches since that is still its purpose and I'll merge them into those branches.

Looking forward to further developments.

Richard