[asterisk-dev] A Curious Question Cisco IAD

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:06:16 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Michial Thompson <michialt at gmail.com> wrote:
> For instance, one of the things I am trying to understand in a little more
> detail is a Cisco IAD.  I have learned that it is a cool piece of hardware,
> it can really reduce costs of a phone system, and more importantly it's
> nearly impossible to find anything about how to configure the thing for
> anything other than paperweight mode....

Sounds right. You don't mention which IAD, but it's not really
relevant to the problem you're having.

> So my question to all is, where do you learn this stuff without taking
> semester long classes?

Cisco has a website. It's behind a userid and password.
You have to pay Cisco money for a service contract, then you have to
tie your service contract number to a userid, then you can sign in
using your userid and password.
That's where they keep the configuration guides, IOS upgrades, etc.
for the various IAD.
That's also where they keep the known issues, workarounds, FAQ, etc.

If you are already paying for this, go have fun there.

If you are not already paying for this, well, perhaps you should
consider this a negative when dealing with Cisco hardware. Oracle is
the same way.