[asterisk-dev] A Curious Question Cisco IAD

Michial Thompson michialt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 13:03:02 CDT 2009

I have spent about a week now researching various aspects of the Voip world,
and trying to learn as much as I can about how things fit together and how
they work etc.

I've gotten a good overview of how things work, basically the stuff that any
manager over a group should know in order not to get smoke blown from his
employees, but what I am finding is that it seems that information is sealed
tight about the details.

For instance, one of the things I am trying to understand in a little more
detail is a Cisco IAD.  I have learned that it is a cool piece of hardware,
it can really reduce costs of a phone system, and more importantly it's
nearly impossible to find anything about how to configure the thing for
anything other than paperweight mode....

Now I am smart enough to know that my project isn't going to be build by me
and meet it's deadline, but I also know that I need to know enough about
this stuff to decide if I am hiring the right person for the job to meet my
deadline, and one of those things is to know that they know how to configure
it for anything other than "waste time and run up the billing hours mode."

So my question to all is, where do you learn this stuff without taking
semester long classes?