[asterisk-dev] MeetMe and kernel module dependency

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Sep 8 17:48:00 CDT 2009

Jeff Gehlbach wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>
>> Are there any plans to make the Asterisk MeetMe application
>> independent of
>> kernel modules? Currently MeetMe won't work unless a set of special
>> character
>> devices are present under /dev? Referring to Asterisk 1.4.xx .
>
> I think you're referring to the requirement for a Zaptel / DAHDI
> module, which MeetMe uses as a timing source for audio mixing.

Not quite. Zaptel/DAHDI can provide timing, and they also provide
conference mixing. app_meetme uses both services (well, really the
timing usage is embedded into the mixing usage).

> If memory serves, that requirement goes away in Asterisk 1.6.2.x,
> whose first release candidate is available for testing.  I haven't
> personally had a chance to use it yet.

In Asterisk 1.6.x, various methods of timing have been added to allow
*other* modules in Asterisk that need timing to not require
Zaptel/DAHDI. However, app_meetme still requires DAHDI for conference
mixing. In Asterisk 1.6.2, there is an experimental app_confbridge that
uses mixing provided in Asterisk itself, and requires only a timing
source; Asterisk 1.6.2 can use three different methods for timing, only
one of which is DAHDI.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com