[asterisk-dev] please please please open ViewVC for svn.digium.com again

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Sep 4 09:37:53 CDT 2009

Kristijan Vrban wrote:
> I agree. ViewVC was so practical to get a quick overview to the changes.
> Please reactivate if possible.

I understand how useful it is.  We will work on getting it back up as
soon as possible.  One of the biggest items that was a blocking issue
for getting it done is actually being worked on today.

In the mean time, an alternative approach is to do some sort of
mirroring of the Asterisk repository so that you can view it locally.
Tzafrir posted information about how to import Asterisk into git
recently.  Here is some information for doing it with mercurial:

2) Install Mercurial (hg)

1) Install "hgsvn"

2) Import the code (this will take a long time.)

$ hgimportsvn http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk
$ cd trunk
$ hgpullsvn
... wait a long time ...
$ hg serve

3) Enjoy your personal web view of the code!

 -> http://localhost:8000

A nice benefit of a local view like this is that operations such as
"annotate" will run faster.

$ time hg annotate channels/chan_sip.c
real    0m34.374s

(on the same LAN as the master svn server)
$ time svn annotate .../channels/chan_sip.c
real    2m53.399s

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software