[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] SIP: Pineapple

Thu Oct 22 10:05:04 CDT 2009

Michiel van Baak schrieb:
> On 11:20, Thu 22 Oct 09, Alexander Harrowell wrote:

>> Yes - is it really a common use case to have end points or trunks that are
>> one-way (as the current typing implies)? I'm sure there will be fancy
>> deployments that have phones attached that are only ever used for inbound, or
>> that send their outbound traffic to a different carrier than they receive inbound
>> from. But I would suspect 90-odd % of Asterisk instances have a SIP carrier on
>> one side carrying both inbound and outbound (i.e. a "friend" in currentspeak)
>> and Linksys desk phones on the other that both receive and place calls.
>
> No.
> It's pretty common to have a couple of ITSP's configured to do
> least-cost-routing based on the number you are calling.
> One of the ITSP's will be responsible for inbound calls on your main
> numbers.
> But in mosts setups we did we have more of those because of DID's in
> different countries etc.
>
> And we have a good couple of setups that have an asterisk box specific
> for routing, it grabs the calls from ITSP and landlines and routes those
> calls to other boxen. Most of them use a different route when setting up
> an outbound call.
>
> Many many possibilities that dont match the simple setup you described.

The thing is: the SIP channel needs not be aware of how you use the
"trunks". Even if you do specify a trunk as outgoing-only, this can not
avoid that the other side can send you calls over this "trunk".

As you handle LCR in the dialplan (not in the SIP channel) you can
decide in the dialplan too if you use a "trunk" for in, out or both.
Don't make the SIP configuration to complex.

regards
klaus