[asterisk-dev] Channel support for GSM devices

Odicha odi at odicha.net
Thu Oct 8 04:29:44 CDT 2009

Tzafrir Cohen escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Sounds interesting,
>
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 10:00:54AM +0100, Odicha wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Firstly apologies for my English
>> I have a project idea. The aim is to provide a single asterisk channel
>> services to all GSM hardware that can connect to the system
>>
>> Needs to be met.
>> 1) It will provide voice capabilities
>> 2) It will bring instant messaging services
>>

> What do you mean?
>
> I suppose that you basically want something similar to what we have in
> SIP and XMPP. Routing messages between different channels is a bit more
> complicated.
>

>> 3) It will provide a layer signaling over states of the GSM network and
>> the hardware itself
>>
>> Hardware capable of being used.
>>
>> Any device with GSM capabilities. We can distinguish 3 main groups:
>> 1) GSM Modems. Usually USB or PCMCIA PCEXPRESS.
>> 2) MultiModem Devices (eg. Junghanns Openvox quadGSM or OpenVox G400P)
>>

> Junghanns wrote libgsmat that was intended to integrae that one into
> chan_zap, using his ztgsm driver.
>

>> 3) External FXS Gateways (Nokia Premicell type, Xacom Celline, etc) with
>> a serial or usb port usually we can use for receive and send sms
>>

> Hmm... in this case you don't need a separate channel driver.
>

>> ** Supported buetooth devices be left out but are covered by another
>> module that has a different philosophy to that proposed here, they could
>> be ported without much complexity in the future
>>
>> If we look we see first of all we have to divide, first between devices
>> with voice and data devices that operate alone, and secondly, between
>> devices that must be added hardware management (as multiport cards) and
>> those with maintain contact with only AT (like any traditional modem)
>>
>> My proposal goes through using a model similar to chan_dahdi with a
>> common interface towards Asterisk and connect with specific modules for
>> each class of hardware device, simplifying management tasks. For
>> example, to send an sms through any supported device to follow the
>> protocol to asterisk would face exactly the same.
>>

> How about a slightly different task: I got an SMS message on one such
> modem. How do I pass it to my SIP phone?

Ask Olle! :-)
The sip part of that is a mistery for me... I can work on dahdi part,
but on sip my skills are below zero
I think we could have one "standard text mesage model" for asterisk and
make any messages protocol "talk" with it... So in a gsm->sip sms we
translate from gsm to asterisk model and then on asterisk model to
sip... It's only one idea...So if in future we can use message
facilities over pri (for example) we might make them fall into standard
asterisk model...

Then do you think that a "libgsm", some dahdi additional code plus
hardware modules could be an interesting "path" to work with?