[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Release Schedule

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Oct 7 17:10:03 CDT 2009

Rod Dorman wrote:
>> I'm curious about the need for both 'Minor' and 'Patch'
>>
>> What would be an example of a "trivial" change that couldn't just bump
>> the 'Patch' level?
>
> Sigh... today is just not my day. I meant of course bump the 'Minor'
> level.

It's less about the type, and more about communicating the magnitude of
change between releases.

Generally, a minor release could contain something on the order of 100
to 200 bug fixes.  A patch level release is usually only one or two
changes.  The only time we do this is when we want to get a specific fix
out as soon as possible.  Examples are security problems or serious
regressions.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software