[asterisk-dev] Insulting source code comments in main/channel.c

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Mon Nov 23 13:03:40 CST 2009

Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List Account) wrote:
> On November 23, 2009 03:30:33 am Floimair Florian wrote:
>>             /*! Unless of course, you're a silly European, so then prefer
>>  ALAW */
>>
>>             AST_FORMAT_ALAW,
>
>> Well, what can I say. I'm European but I'm definitely not silly. This is
>>  not only insulting but also very narrow-minded. Therefore I kindly request
>>  you to remove the "silly" from the comment in the code.
>
> You're serious?
>
> Grow a sense of humour about yourself and your culture.  Honestly, it's emails
> like this that reinforce stereotypes detrimental to cultures.
>
> I can't believe you actually wasted the time to write such a whiny email.
>
>> But enough of the talk. Please just remove the word "silly" from the
>>  comment and everyone should be fine.
>
> How about you crawl back into bed so the big bad world can't upset your
> delicate sensibilities any more.
>
> Honestly.
>
> -A.

Grow a sense of humor against insults? Really? Do I absolutely have to?
Hm... On second thought why not turn the other cheek?

No, no! Better idea! Why not drop our pants and bend over in
anticipation? That would be a good reaction against an insult!

Detrimental stereotypes, humor about culture, delicate sensibilities...
And all this is coming from a person living in North America (judging by
the .ca suffix in your email) which is the capital of political
correctness (according to Americans), where discriminating and demeaning
comments against any group is frowned upon vehemently, etc.

But perhaps the same rules do not apply for groups outside its borders...

In all sincerity now, wouldn't a comment against "silly Americans" raise
hell in this thread? Why the double standards?

V.