[asterisk-dev] GSM trunks & Dahdi - New funcionality Request for discussion

Odicha odi at odicha.net
Fri Nov 20 06:29:13 CST 2009

Kai Hoerner escribió:
> Artem Makhutov wrote:
>> Also the debugging, installation and so on would be more complicated.
>> You will have to recompile the kernel modules on a kernel update and so on...
>>
> Debugging would be more complicated, agreed.
> You will have to recompile the kernel modules on kernel update anyways,
> since they are still needed even if AT translation is done in user
> space. So i don't see any difference here.

Well. Not at all.

We can debug library at asterisk and AT traffic at driver level. Or we
can pass all AT traffic to asterisk as "info" for debugging purposes.

>> I don't see any reasons to put this into kernel space.
>>
> Probably a great benefit of this approach is that new device drivers can
> be created and installed without even touching the AT standard command
> library. Device specific code would be handled in one single place,
> which seems logical to me. Also, this would allow vendor's to create
> closed source drivers (we dont want them, but sometimes it's better than
> nothing).

Well. Another benefit is that we don't have to change library every time
we add a new driver, because it's done at driver level. It's the same as
audio transfer. Dahdi allows a-law or-law. If the card "talks" slin or
any other fancy audio mode, it must be translated into standard.

> By the way, i do not see the need of this "standard AT" library anyways.
> couldn't you exchange just signals between userspace and the driver
> modules? the driver itself should convert the "standard gsm signalling"
> into which AT commands ever are needed to do actually execute the
> signalling on the device.
> (just thinking too)

Perhaps this needs an explanation.

What do cards I have tested?

Pci card (4 gsm modules). Internally it has 4 spans, each of them with 1
audio channel (b) and 1 control channel (d). So it's like a 4 spans RDSI
cards, but only one audio channel per span.

Data dchannel gives pure "AT" commands, so we have to talk AT language.

Usb sticks. Same as pci cards but only one span.

So we need to talk AT in some place... At library level or at driver level.