[asterisk-dev] GSM trunks & Dahdi - New funcionality Request for discussion

Kai Hoerner kai at ciphron.de
Fri Nov 20 05:32:40 CST 2009

Artem Makhutov wrote:
> Also the debugging, installation and so on would be more complicated.
> You will have to recompile the kernel modules on a kernel update and so on...

Debugging would be more complicated, agreed.
You will have to recompile the kernel modules on kernel update anyways,
since they are still needed even if AT translation is done in user
space. So i don't see any difference here.

> I don't see any reasons to put this into kernel space.

Probably a great benefit of this approach is that new device drivers can
be created and installed without even touching the AT standard command
library. Device specific code would be handled in one single place,
which seems logical to me. Also, this would allow vendor's to create
closed source drivers (we dont want them, but sometimes it's better than
nothing).

By the way, i do not see the need of this "standard AT" library anyways.
couldn't you exchange just signals between userspace and the driver
modules? the driver itself should convert the "standard gsm signalling"
into which AT commands ever are needed to do actually execute the
signalling on the device.
(just thinking too)

Regards,
Kaii