[asterisk-dev] 0015504: [patch] G726 Codec has choppy audio on Version 1.6.1

Dmitry Andrianov dimas at dataart.com
Tue Nov 10 14:54:06 CST 2009

Guys,
Im looking at the recently closed issue https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=15504
(the diff http://svnview.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.4/codecs/codec_g726.c?r1=229281&r2=229280&pathrev=229281 )

Commit comment says:

   On some systems the translation core would actually consider g726aal2 -> g726 -> signed linear
    to be a quicker path then g726aal2 -> signed linear which exposed this problem.

My understanding is that the only difference between these codecs is order of bytes (actually nibbles). So how this extra step in the transcoding chain can cause choppy sound? To me data decoded by any of these chains must match exactly. What am I missing?

Another thought: is it a good idea in general to completely kill one of transcoders only because it gets used inefficiently? I agree that the long chain should be avoided but should it be done at the cost of killing one of transcoders? Arent there other ways?

Thanks.