[asterisk-dev] channel name uniqueness

Paul Albrecht albrecht at glccom.com
Tue May 19 09:30:39 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 07:24 -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On May 18, 2009, at 5:38 PM, paul at glccom.com wrote:
>

> > The names of the active sip channels are guaranteed to be unique
> > only if
> > asterisk data pointers are 32 bits, that is, asterisk is compiled on a
> > 32 bit system. If, on the other hand, asterisk is compiled on a 64 bit
> > system, pointers are 64 bits so that a 32 bit data pointer is
> > ambiguous
> > because heap is allocated both above and below 4 gigabytes.
>

> Yes, you are correct.  I'm sorry for missing what you were saying the
> first time.  So, while it seems like running into this problem would
> be very unlikely, it is a bug that we need to address.
>
> It would be excellent if you could post this to issues.asterisk.org.

OK, I'll add this to asterisk's issue tracker ... I have another
question about the channel name: Given a channel name, how do I, a
module writer, efficiently find the corresponding channel address? The
reason I'm asking is because I know I could use "channel_find_locked",
but I'd like to avoid a linear search over all active channels.

> --
> Russell Bryant
> Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead
> Check us out at: www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org

Paul Albrecht