[asterisk-dev] SIP transport type configuration

David Vossel dvossel at digium.com
Fri May 8 17:51:26 CDT 2009

Hello!

In sip.conf the transport option allows for the configuration of what transport types (udp, tcp, and tls) a peer will accept, but only the first type listed is used for outbound connections.

Example:
transport = tcp, udp (peer will accept tcp or udp inbound, but will only make outbound requests using tcp)

If a peer registers using UDP and specifies UDP in the Contact header, why should Asterisk force outbound connections to use TCP?

I purpose a change.  What if we make the first transport type only the default type.  Meaning that is what is used unless the peer registers using a different transport type that is also supported.  If the peer does register with a transport other than the default, Asterisk should continue to use the peer's specified transport type over the default type for all outbound connections to that peer until the registration expires or a different transport is specified.

~Vossel