[asterisk-dev] Community help needed! Manager interface audit

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun May 3 04:13:18 CDT 2009

During the European Developer Meet-Up, we discussed a need for providing
'triggers' to run external scripts (or possibly other actions) based on
internal events. These events are currently visible on the Asterisk
Manager Interface, so it is possible today to have an external
application listen for these events and take the same actions, but there
seems to be a benefit to being able to do in Asterisk itself.

However to be able to do this, we need to get the AMI events converted
over to the new Asterisk events framework, so that they can be delivered
via other mechanisms.

To do this, we need to audit all the existing AMI events (all calls to
manager_event()) throughout Asterisk SVN trunk, and determine how
'consistent' the events are. There are (at least) two areas to focus on:

1) When events use the same header name (for example, 'Channel') but
don't provide the same information as other events that use the same
header name, or do provide the same information but format it differently.

2) When events use different header names for the same sort of data
(again, for example, channel names).

We need to learn how much inconsistency is left in AMI 1.1 (the version
in Asterisk 1.6) so we can determine how much work will be required to
convert them to the events framework.

Let's discuss here how to get this project moving; this sort of task is
fairly easy for community members to help with, as it's really just
reading code and comparing the header names and data that they include,
not modifying code or testing it :-) We're going to need to someone to
coordinate the work, keep the master list of header names that have been
checked and the inconsistencies have been found, etc.

Do we have any volunteers who'd be interested in helping out with this
project?

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com