[asterisk-dev] chan_iax "ghost" channel confusion

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Sat May 2 00:27:45 CDT 2009

On May 2, 2009, at 1:03 AM, David Vossel wrote:

> Sometimes "iax2 show channels" displays channels with "(None)"
> listed as the channel name.
>
>      *CLI> iax2 show channels
>      Channel               Peer             Username    ID (Lo/Rem)
> Seq (Tx/Rx)  Lag      Jitter  JitBuf  Format
>      (None)               10.24.69.220     (None)      03859/00000
> 00001/00000  00000ms  0000ms  0040ms  unknow
>      1 active IAX channel
>

> What should be done in chan_iax to clarify this.  Should there just
> be a note at the bottom of the output explaining why these nameless
> "channels" may exist?

First, I suppose calling it "channels" to begin with was a bad idea,
as it is the root cause of the confusion.  "channels" in this context,
or in the case of "sip show channels", is different than the Asterisk
channel concept.  These CLI commands show all exchanges currently in
progress at the protocol level.

So, with that said, we should definitely leave these types of entries
in the output.  To clarify their meaning, how about we add a new
column to the output that indicates what type of IAX2 message started
this dialog? (Do we call them dialogs in IAX2?)  So, it would say NEW,
POKE, REGREQ, etc.  I also like the "Last Message" item in the
chan_sip output.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead