[asterisk-dev] Bug or not - "no reply to our critical packet" ?

samuel samu60 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 04:56:51 CDT 2009

First of all check all network nodes (switches, routers,...) and check
whether the SIP signalling is OK in terms of NAT handling. Your problem is
that an ACK is lost and the session is torn down, this behaviour is OK.

If everything is OK, I would recommend that you use 1.4.18 because the NAT
handling is better. I've seen that from 1.4.18 there's a problem but I don't
know enough about the * internals to know where it is (i tried
1.4.20,1.4.22, 1.4.23)

The problem I've seen is the following:

How to detect with keep alive mechanism (easily to spot):

SIP endpoints behind a router without any ALG enabled and * in a public IP.

When SIP endpoints sends the keep alive (NOTIFY for example) the Via header
is a private one (192.168.1.1) and the source IP is the public interface of
the router.
Even though you have nat=yes in those endpoints, * returns the reply to the
private address (as stated by the RFCs) but it does not reach the endpoint
because the destination address is a private onte, instead of the IP where
the packet came from.

I know it's not RFC compliant but when I see this behaviour, some calls are
dropped with the "critical response" message because the ACK handling is
also not well done.

Hope anyone with enough knowledge can shed some light on this issue.

Best regards,
Samuel