[asterisk-dev] About asterisk development plans

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Wed Mar 18 18:57:55 CDT 2009

John Todd wrote:
> 4) Some mention was made expressing concern over the priorities of
> features vs. stability.   I would suggest looking at the bug tracker
> to anyone interested in examining where Digium's priories are.  Digium
> staff spend a staggering amount of time and energy on fixing bugs and
> getting Asterisk in all forms as stable and usable as possible, and
> this comes at significant cost to Digium.  Nobody likes to do boring
> stuff like test patches and fix minor nits, but that is in fact what
> is the majority of the time spent at Digium working on Asterisk code.
> Olle and others send out requests for bug testers all the time, but
> there remains a serious shortage of people willing to test bug fixes
> or even new features.

The best thing someone can do is to test the patches that are attached for
testing to a bug they opened. I can't even express how often and how frustrating
it is to have someone report an issue they are having, and then have the issue
stagnate because they are unwilling to test the patch created for them.

And often the issue is so remote that only the reporter is able to accurately
and reliably reproduce the issue.

Leif Madsen.