[asterisk-dev] Test framework (changed topic)

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Wed Mar 18 17:14:02 CDT 2009

I think we could discuss this till we're all blue in the face.

It seems that developing an architecture for something always goes round
in circles.

So,  why don't we just start by writing one test for one function.

Something simple to start with.

So, like lets start with sending manager commands and getting an
expected response.

The test would involve:

1. Create a manager.conf file
2. Connect to Asterisk manager (events off for this one)
3. Execute one application (lets say core show version)
4. Read response
5. Logoff
6. All output from manager should have been logged to file
7. We compare the expected response with the received response.
Anything we received, but didn't expect is a failure.  Anything we
didn't receive but did expect is a failure.

This could be written with bash, using telnet or something so is quite
simple.

I realize that a framework would make it easier to develop multiple
tests, but I'd rather see some tests actually created.

If this sounds good, I can write this test - mind you my regex isn't too
great and the example I picked would rely on it being correct.

--
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell
Director