[asterisk-dev] Google Summer of Code 2009

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Mar 10 16:59:42 CDT 2009

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> If you can find them, I'd probably target people with some previous
> knowledge of the architecture. E.g. I would try and see if are there
> students who have contributed patches in Mantis, or developed
> external apps, etc.
> This should reduce a bit the load on the mentors and let the students
> be more independent in their work.

That's a good point.  I know of a number of them that are out there, and
have heard from at least 2 so far.

> Also, some "level 1" projects, especially if they refer to refactoring
> and consolidation of code, or modifications to an existing subsystem,
> require a lot of guidance from mentors. Eg. 3a, 3b really need that
> an experienced developer designs how to implement those features.
 >
> Overall I don't think the "difficulty level" is an important
> parameter, perhaps we should just remove it.

After thinking about it, I really agree with just removing it.
Hopefully a student applying to the project will be able to get a good
sense of what they are getting in to and how difficult it will be before
applying.  Otherwise, they're probably not a good candidate.

Instead of truing to include this information, I'll include some notes
about where to go to contact the development community (this mailing
list, IRC) for help selecting a project if needed.

Thanks again for the feedback.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead