[asterisk-dev] Google Summer of Code 2009

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Tue Mar 10 16:43:41 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 03:38:38PM -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
> > I'm going to create a file in svn to maintain our project ideas list:
> >
> >   - svn/asterisk/trunk/doc/google-soc2009-ideas.txt
>
> I have added all of the projects suggested so far.
>
> I am especially interested in additional projects that could be
> considered a difficulty level of 1.  That would be a project appropriate
> for a student that has no experience with Asterisk code, or even
> Asterisk at all, but that is interested in learning about our project
> and getting involved in development.
>
> Also, if anyone feels that the difficulty ratings I put down in my first
> pass should be adjusted, please let me know.  Sometimes it's hard for me
> to judge how difficult a project would be for someone who isn't already
> involved in the project, since it has been a while since I was in that
> position.

If you can find them, I'd probably target people with some previous
knowledge of the architecture. E.g. I would try and see if are there
students who have contributed patches in Mantis, or developed
external apps, etc.
This should reduce a bit the load on the mentors and let the students
be more independent in their work.

Also, some "level 1" projects, especially if they refer to refactoring
and consolidation of code, or modifications to an existing subsystem,
require a lot of guidance from mentors. Eg. 3a, 3b really need that
an experienced developer designs how to implement those features.

Overall I don't think the "difficulty level" is an important
parameter, perhaps we should just remove it.

	cheers
	luigi