[asterisk-dev] Google Summer of Code 2009

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Mar 10 15:35:03 CDT 2009

Mark Michelson wrote:

> * ast_storage: For those not in the know, this was an attempt to make several
> storage backends, primarily for use in app_voicemail but potentially useful for
> other purposes, too. I think this could make a decent project for a student
> because the code is already partially written, app_voicemail needs some major
> cleanup with regards to how it handles various storage destinations, and
> unfortunately, this just isn't something that is likely to get tackled by anyone
> else any time soon.
>
> * manager2/managergames: These are existing branches designed to get manager
> events converted to internal Asterisk events. While I am suggesting this as a
> project, I would like to get Olle's approval first since such a project could
> encroach on his managergames ideas. This is another project that will be great
> and useful but is not likely to be worked on by others due to other projects
> they're working on.

I have added these projects to the list.  Take a look at my wording and
make any changes that you feel are necessary.

> * Transaction support for chan_sip. Pretty much self-explanatory. Would help get
> rid of several known bugs and would make the channel driver much more logical
> overall.

I have not added this one.  We discussed this briefly off-list and I
think we agreed that this might be a bit too difficult for this program.

> * Anything to help regarding automated testing of Asterisk. Perhaps some sort of
> addition to Matt Nicholson's asttest branch? I'm not really sure that this is
> really in the spirit of GSoC though.

I am always in support of improving our test infrastructure.  However,
we're going to need some defined goals to make it project for this program.

> Other potential places to browse for ideas are Olle's http://asteriskideas.org
> site and the voip-info wiki.

If someone wants to look and build up some brief project definitions
based on ideas they find, I would be happy to review them and add them
to the list.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead