[asterisk-dev] Newbie, Question on making a PSTN call..

Shiva Kumar shivku at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 11:21:53 CDT 2009

Hello Asterisk-dev,
I am new to Asterisk. I got SIP Calls to work between two computers using a
soft phone and asterisk in the middle. Since then, I have been trying to get
my soft phone to make a PSTN call with terrible failure for about two days
now.

On Windows using asteriskwin32:
I have a soft modem (Agere HDA Modem) in my laptop. Windows' default dialer
is able to make a PSTN call by connecting the Phone's RJ line into my
laptop's RJ 11. I am unsure what drivers to choose where and what parameters
to change in tapi/fx configuration files etc. to get asterisk to use this
modem to call out.
Read plenty of articles about how asterisk cannot make a good phone call
using a half duplex modem. But, This is for experimental purposes and I will
be thrilled to just get my phone ringing before I go out to buy specific
hardware.

On my Ubuntu:
Next up, I connected my phone(NOKIA N73) to my computer, ensured that I am
able to connect to internet on my ubuntu. wvdial works good too. Again, I am
unsure how to get asterisk to connect to this modem so that I can use my
soft phones to make a call.

Need help.  Thanks in Advance.

--
Shivku,