[asterisk-dev] Regarding janitor projects

Dhirendra Pal Singh dpal.singh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 14:21:24 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Tilghman Lesher <
tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 04 June 2009 15:24:40 Dhirendra Pal Singh wrote:
> > I am very interested in asterisk and want to help with coding.
> >
> > Now I did look at
> > http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/asterisk/trunk/doc/janitor-projects.txt and
> > think I can start working on some of them in no particular order.
> >
> > I was wondering if there are some docs to help me jump start my coding
> > effort for asterisk. Any pointers? Any body?
> >
> > Since I am a newbie to asterisk development, so please be gentle :)
>
> The main issue that we typically have with patches is a lack of following
> the coding guidelines.  These are mainly issues with spacing and
> indentation,
> and occasionally with line terminators (people using Windows line
> terminators
> instead of Unix line terminators).  The coding guidelines are all located
> here:
> http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/doc/CODING-GUIDELINES
>
> Once you have a candidate patch, you'll want to upload the patch as a
> contribution to https://issues.asterisk.org.  You'll need to sign a
> contributor license agreement.  It's also best to prefix the subject line
> of the issue with "[janitor]", so that we can distinguish your contribution
> from a bugfix patch.  Additionally, janitor patches should all be against
> trunk, unless otherwise specified in the janitor.
>
> And finally, welcome to the developer community.  Many of the developers
> hang out in #asterisk-dev on the Freenode IRC network, so if you have a
> coding
> guidelines question, feel free to come ask us there.  (Questions on the
> usage
> of Asterisk itself should be asked in #asterisk).
>
> --
> Tilghman

 Hi Tilghman,
Thanks for the response. I totally understand the pain of people not
following coding guidelines. I have been working as a contractor for last 10
years, and seen a lot of that.

I have gone through the coding guide lines, couple of times, and probably
will go over it couple of more times, in near future :), to make sure that I
incorporate it in my code.

Also thanks for clearing that janitor patches should  be made against trunk.
I was wondering on that.

Let me try to get my first patch ready and then I can ask for the
contributer license. I am currently working on the janitor project "Convert
all existing uses of astobj.h to astobj2.h". Hopefully I can have a patch
out in next couple of days.

See you on IRC sometime..

Thanks again for your help..
Regards