[asterisk-dev] 1.6.X branches

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Jun 3 15:13:15 CDT 2009

Gavin Henry wrote:
> OK, I understand that. I'm confused as to why there are 3 branches
> though? Why all the maintenance overhead?

It's a compromise, really.  Previously, we would go at least a year
before making a new feature frozen release branch.  That has it's own
set of problems and challenges.  This way, we can get new features out
into releases sooner, but without shortening how long a release is
maintained with bug fixes as much.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead