[asterisk-dev] 1.6.X branches

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:07:24 CDT 2009

2009/6/3 Leif Madsen <leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org>:
> Gavin Henry wrote:
>> I've recently been given svn access to look after the LDAP things, but
>> I can't find anywhere (in the branch code or an annoucement) that
>> explains the purposes/reasons behind 1.6.0, 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 instead of
>> just the 1.6.0.X
>>
>> Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me?
>

> Basically, the 1.6.x.y is either feature releases, or bug fixes inside that
> release where 'x' is the feature release (new features introduced from trunk)
> and 'y' is the bug fix release within that branch.
>
> So think of each 1.6.x as a 1.4 branch where there are no features added, just
> bug fixes. These bug fixes are tagged as 1.6.x.y.
>
> Each 1.6.x release is a new branch made from trunk, and thus have new features
> and changes since the previous 1.6.x release. Here is an ASCII diagram to help
> visualize it.
>
>                                 1.6.0.0  1.6.1.1
>     __________ (1.6.0 branch)_______|_____|___...
>    /
> ------------------------------------------> trunk (new features, ABI changes)
>            \                        1.6.1.0   1.6.1.1
>             \_____ (1.6.1 branch)_____|________|____...
>

> Hopefully that helps make things a bit more clear. New features never go into an
> existing branch -- only into trunk. When a new branch is created, it inherits
> the features currently in trunk at that time.
>
> Note that several branches are maintained at once now (current policy is to
> maintain 3 branches at a time, plus 1.4). So when you make a change (bug fix for
> example) you commit to 1.4 (if it applies), then merge to trunk (merge4trunk),
> and then merge back down to each of the 1.6.x branches that it applies to
> (mergetrunk6).
>
> I'm sure any other developers will correct me if I was incorrect in the merge
> order above.

OK, I understand that. I'm confused as to why there are 3 branches
though? Why all the maintenance overhead?

Anyway, I guess you just pick which .x branch you need the features of
and go from there as all bug fixes get applied to all 1.6.x branches.

Thanks.

--
http://www.suretecsystems.com/services/openldap/
http://www.suretectelecom.com