No subject

Sun Jul 19 19:54:31 CDT 2009

Polycom Supported Actions:

   - Answer Call
   - Hold Call
   - Retrieve Call

The "Hold Call" is the interesting one for me.  Because, there exists no
asterisk manager hold command because of what is mentioned in these threads
from January 2010.

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2010-January/041438.html

> > I'd like to know what options to consider.
> >
> > Straight off the bat I can say that I'm a little concerned with:

None of this is really related to GSoC, but ...

True, but I needed to ask it before actually doing anything in the asterisk
community at the development level.

> > a) signing a developer waiver because I don't see any benefit
>
> I assume you mean the contributor license agreement?
>
> https://issues.asterisk.org/view_license_agreement.php
>
> The most obvious benefit is getting code upstream and into Asterisk.

Yes that's the one.  Good point.  It's going to be something I bring up
again because it's not really my area of expertise.   Basically I'd like to
use 'the experience' in talking to devices to be able to write code in
another programming language, for other projects, to construct similar
constructs in order to do the same thing - talk to devices.

If this was a proprietary situation, it would usually mean I have no control
over the source code, relinquish redistribution rights, probably have to
sign an NDA and be remunerated for the effort.

For instance, http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/11477  for which the google
alert was impeccably timed to notify me of this csta keyword being found
soon after I posted to this list (no there is no tin foil hat :)  Another
instance is http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/33179

After the pidgin notification though, I thought to myself - at some stage I
will have to let go much like initially opening up the source code (and
hence LGPL licensing) that I don't want to be a policeman over my code.

This is the confusing part - from the license agreement:
*You hereby grant Digium a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable,
non-exclusive, and transferable license to use, reproduce, prepare
derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, distribute the
Submissions, and to sublicense such rights to others. The rights granted may
be exercised in any form or format, and Digium may distribute and sublicense
to others on any licensing terms, including without limitation: (a) open
source licenses like the GNU General Public License (GPL), or the Berkeley
Science Division license (BSD); or (b) binary, proprietary, or commercial
licenses. If Your Submission is derived from software released by Digium
under the GPL, Digium as licensor thereof waives such requirements of the
GPL as applied to that software to the limited extent necessary to allow you
to provide the Submission and the foregoing license to Digium.*

Am I as a contributor allowed the same thing - can I use parts of the code
to inject into pidgin for instance?  This is what it boils down to.

> > b) using the asterisk-forge, the ToS state that I must give up my rights
> > Digium - is this software licensing as well for code that sits inside the
> > svn, or ONLY what is posted on the forge website?
>
> Can you point to the exact language that you are concerned about?  I
> think you are misunderstanding it.

I just went through both privacy and terms-of-use and there's no sign of
it.  I'm sure (100%) that there used to be a term on the forge terms of use,
that stated something along the lines of you grant Digium an irrevocable
right to use any of the content ... worldwide and royalty free ...
I had previously started the Open CSTA sign up to start planning something
with asterisk csta integration.  I think it got taken out and
Digium/Asterisk appear to be using a similar (if not the same) ToS nowadays.

> > c)  re: licensing - if a csta library could be created, what are the
> options
> > re: licensing, and packaging  - asterisk vs asterisk-addons  - opencsta
> > redistribution commitments/rights
> > d)  finally, which license - opencsta is licensed LGPL written in java -
> > simply because I can always do something with it in a proprietary sense.
>
> If it is implemented as a library, then it would not be distributed
> directly with Asterisk.  If it requires an Asterisk component, and the
> licensing is acceptable, then it would be distributed with Asterisk.  We
> have done away with the Asterisk-addons package as of Asterisk 1.8.

Okay.... what is "the licensing is acceptable" - the contributor license, or
can we just keep it LGPL for that component so it's easier to use in other
projects without having to get approval?

> > These have been questions that have been on the backburner for a couple
> of
> > months.  SoC seems like a good reason to bring them up.
> > Hope you don't mind.
>
> --
> Russell Bryant
> Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software
> www.digium.com -=- www.asterisk.org -=- blogs.asterisk.org

Thanks for reading this far,
Kind Regards,
Chris Mylonas

--0016e6d7ea6e75fadd0480d7b38f

Hi Russell,<br><br>Thanks for your reply.=A0 I think I just needed to get t=
hat out-of-my-system-off-my-chest moreso than anything - please find commen=
ts within, it gave me a chance to further think about it - in a more co-ope=
rative way.<br>
 still.=A0 I wrote the start of the opencsta project whilst at school in my=
 spare time in good entrepreneurial spirit.=A0 And working here <a href=3D"=
http://www.omnium.net.au">http://www.omnium.net.au</a> - the next generatio=
n of kids are certainly cluey enough to pick something up quick enough - es=
pecially with the help from mentors.=A0 uaCSTA is a small subset - maybe 6 =
functions all up.=A0 It will be the integration within asterisk that will b=
e the harder part in my opinion.=A0 As a mentor on the CSTA side of things =
- I have no familiarity with asterisk internals. <br>
Bryant <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:russell at digium.com">russell@=
=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; p=
adding-left: 1ex;">
On 03/01/2010 08:07 PM, Chris Mylonas wrote:<br>
&gt; I&#39;m interested in mentoring a csta project, because I know that st=
uff pretty<br>
&gt; well. =A0I&#39;m not intimately familiar with asterisk at a developer =
level<br>
&gt; though.<br>
If the project is not a modification to Asterisk, then it&#39;s not really =
a<br>
fit for our participation in the program. =A0If it was implemented as<br>
something inside of Asterisk, it seems to me to be much larger in scope<br>
than what I think would be best for a student to implement in a Summer.<br>
uaCSTA, which is a subset of the full CSTA spec, only deals with a handful =
of events and functions.=A0 When I say handful, it literally is less than a=
 dozen.<br>
r><p>Polycom Supported Actions:</p>
uot;Hold Call&quot; is the interesting one for me.=A0 Because, there exists=
 no asterisk manager hold command because of what is mentioned in these thr=
eads from January 2010.<br>
041438.html">http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2010-January/04=
rder-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding=
-left: 1ex;">

&gt; I&#39;d like to know what options to consider.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Straight off the bat I can say that I&#39;m a little concerned with:<b=
r>
=A0</blockquote><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px=
 solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">N=
one of this is really related to GSoC, but ...<br>
doing anything in the asterisk community at the development level.<br><br>=
=A0</div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid =
rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

&gt; a) signing a developer waiver because I don&#39;t see any benefit<br>
I assume you mean the contributor license agreement?<br>
=3D"_blank">https://issues.asterisk.org/view_license_agreement.php</a><br>
The most obvious benefit is getting code upstream and into Asterisk.<br>
s going to be something I bring up again because it&#39;s not really my are=
a of expertise.=A0=A0 Basically I&#39;d like to use &#39;the experience&#39=
; in talking to devices to be able to write code in another programming lan=
guage, for other projects, to construct similar constructs in order to do t=
he same thing - talk to devices.<br>
ntrol over the source code, relinquish redistribution rights, probably have=
 to sign an NDA and be remunerated for the effort.<br><br>For instance, <a =
href=3D"http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/11477">http://developer.pidgin.im=
/ticket/11477</a>=A0 for which the google alert was impeccably timed to not=
ify me of this csta keyword being found soon after I posted to this list (n=
o there is no tin foil hat :)=A0 Another instance is <a href=3D"http://www.=
igniterealtime.org/community/thread/33179">http://www.igniterealtime.org/co=
mmunity/thread/33179</a><br>
ge I will have to let go much like initially opening up the source code (an=
d hence LGPL licensing) that I don&#39;t want to be a policeman over my cod=
e.<br>
by grant Digium a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-excl=
usive, and transferable license to use,=20
reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform,=
 distribute the Submissions, and to sublicense=20
such rights to others. The rights granted may be exercised in any form or f=
ormat, and Digium may distribute and sublicense=20
to others on any licensing terms, including without limitation: (a) open so=
urce licenses like the GNU General Public License
(GPL), or the Berkeley Science Division license (BSD); or (b) binary, propr=
ietary, or commercial licenses.  If Your Submission
is derived from software released by Digium under the GPL, Digium as licens=
or thereof waives such requirements of the GPL as
applied to that software to the limited extent necessary to allow you to pr=
ovide the Submission and the foregoing license to
 parts of the code to inject into pidgin for instance?=A0 This is what it b=
rder-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding=
-left: 1ex;">

&gt; b) using the asterisk-forge, the ToS state that I must give up my righ=
ts to<br>
&gt; Digium - is this software licensing as well for code that sits inside =
the<br>
&gt; svn, or ONLY what is posted on the forge website?<br>
Can you point to the exact language that you are concerned about? =A0I<br>
think you are misunderstanding it.<br>
 and there&#39;s no sign of it.=A0 I&#39;m sure (100%) that there used to b=
e a term on the forge terms of use, that stated something along the lines o=
f you grant Digium an irrevocable right to use any of the content ... world=
wide and royalty free ...<br>
I had previously started the Open CSTA sign up to start planning something =
with asterisk csta integration.=A0 I think it got taken out and Digium/Aste=
risk appear to be using a similar (if not the same) ToS nowadays.<br><br>
=A0</div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid =
rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
&gt; c) =A0re: licensing - if a csta library could be created, what are the=
 options<br>
&gt; re: licensing, and packaging =A0- asterisk vs asterisk-addons =A0- ope=
ncsta<br>
&gt; redistribution commitments/rights<br>
&gt; d) =A0finally, which license - opencsta is licensed LGPL written in ja=
va -<br>
&gt; simply because I can always do something with it in a proprietary sens=
e.<br>
If it is implemented as a library, then it would not be distributed<br>
directly with Asterisk. =A0If it requires an Asterisk component, and the<br=

licensing is acceptable, then it would be distributed with Asterisk. =A0We<=
br>
have done away with the Asterisk-addons package as of Asterisk 1.8.<br></bl=
ockquote><div><br>Okay.... what is &quot;the licensing is acceptable&quot; =
- the contributor license, or can we just keep it LGPL for that component s=
o it&#39;s easier to use in other projects without having to get approval?<=
br>
=A0</div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid =
rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
&gt; These have been questions that have been on the backburner for a coupl=
e of<br>
&gt; months. =A0SoC seems like a good reason to bring them up.<br>
&gt; Hope you don&#39;t mind.<br>
--<br>
Russell Bryant<br>
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software<br>
445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - USA<br>
- <a href=3D"http://www.asterisk.org" target=3D"_blank">www.asterisk.org</a=
> -=3D- <a href=3D"http://blogs.asterisk.org" target=3D"_blank">blogs.aster=
isk.org</a><br>

--0016e6d7ea6e75fadd0480d7b38f--