[asterisk-dev] Distributed events via XMPP

Brad Watkins marquis42 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 18:50:28 CDT 2009

I'm currently working on implementing distributed events via XMPP PubSub
(XEP-0060, XEP-0248), and I have a couple of design choices to make.

First, the access model for publishing items.  I'm leaning towards using
whitelist, because it limits what JIDs have access while being easy to
implement.  What I'm wondering about here is whether it makes sense to reuse
the "buddy" configuration elements in jabber.conf to add JIDs to the
whitelist.  The alternative is to have a very similar configuration option
for affiliations, and the associated structure to hold that information.

The primary downside to the latter option is simply that it complicates the
aji_client structure for what amounts to the same kind of information.

I'm not sure I've thought my cunning plan all the way through here, so
flames/trolls/comments/alternatives are highly welcome.

The second thing that I need input on is with respect to the actual items
being published.  For instance, for device states one option is to use PIDF
(RFC3863) with extensions.  But that seems a little heavy, and may perhaps
not be entirely applicable.

I'd prefer to use some kind of standard representation if one exists, but I
don't want to put any square pegs in round holes as it were.  So here, too,
all comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.