[asterisk-dev] New AGI manager command: PlaySound

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Jan 25 11:45:45 CST 2009

On Saturday 24 January 2009 13:43:56 Moises Silva wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 24, 2009, at 1:00 PM, nik600 wrote:
> >> If i'm wrong, please correct me but i think that it doesn't exists an
> >> AGI manager command to play a sound (or an audio file) on a specific
> >> channel.
> >
> > First, are you talking abotu AGI or the manager interface (AMI) ?
> > They are too different beasts.
> >
> > In AGI, you certainly already have this capability through STREAM FILE
> > or with EXEC Playback.
> >
> > In AMI, you would be correct in saying that there is not a straight
> > forward way to do this today.  However, it's not as trivial to
> > implement as you might think.  You can not model it after app_playback
> > or something similar.  The big reason is that the handling of a
> > manager action happens in another thread, not in the channel thread
> > like the Playback application code.
>
> You can always use Async AGI to control your channel through the
> manager interface using AGI commands.

In fact, I think I'd prefer if the original poster took this approach, rather
than attempting a separate command.  This ensures that the sound only
reaches the channel when it makes sense and not in the middle of some other
set of prompts.

Typically, if you are looking to divert the channel from AMI, you'd want to
use the Redirect command, anyway, to send the channel to a set of events,
not just a single Playback.

--
Tilghman