[asterisk-dev] Call Detection

David Phillips phillips.david.lee at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 14:05:30 CST 2009

Hi all,

We have an installation of PBXinAFlash. We have a current application that
dials an outbound telephone number and plays a pre-recorded message. In the
meantime, it also updates a mySQL database with the success or failure of
the call. We call this ZAD and we have the source code (bash) to this
application. The application monitors a mySQL table and when a new record
appears, it gets the source and destination numbers from the table then
makes the call with asterisk (using a call file).

We have another application called PAD. Our programmer told us that this
application is what detects whether a human or answering machine has
answered and determines when to start playing the pre-recorded message. It
also reports back to ZAD (presumably) whether it was a human or answering
machine that answered. We do NOT have the source code for this application
and it won't be given to us.

The issue is that PAD is incorrectly reporting human/answering machine
constantly. This is causing issues for us. Unfortunately, we have not been
able to get an update to the PAD application either. :(

I've been looking for a replacement for PAD and found that asterisk 1.4
comes with MachineDetect().  I'm just trying to figure out exactly how I
could implement this.

Or, if someone is aware of some open source solution for this (I can't
imagine this is an unusual request).

I'm new to asterisk programming, so please go easy on me. :)

We just need a working solution that is at least 95% accurate. Right now we
are looking at about 60-70% accuracy.

Thanks!

Dave