[asterisk-dev] New AGI manager command: PlaySound

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Sat Jan 24 13:25:55 CST 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 1:00 PM, nik600 wrote:

> If i'm wrong, please correct me but i think that it doesn't exists an
> AGI manager command to play a sound (or an audio file) on a specific
> channel.

First, are you talking abotu AGI or the manager interface (AMI) ?
They are too different beasts.

In AGI, you certainly already have this capability through STREAM FILE
or with EXEC Playback.

In AMI, you would be correct in saying that there is not a straight
forward way to do this today.  However, it's not as trivial to
implement as you might think.  You can not model it after app_playback
or something similar.  The big reason is that the handling of a
manager action happens in another thread, not in the channel thread
like the Playback application code.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead