[asterisk-dev] Asterisk scalability

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Mon Feb 23 11:30:34 CST 2009

> >[deleted]
>
> Do you have any specific references or how-to's on these methods that
> you might post to the list for archival purposes?

I asked Ross and the others on the IET list if they had collected their
knowledge into a Howto and the answer was "not yet". I'll see if I can dig
up some of the information and pass it along..

> > One of the other things that comes into play is the actual load-
> > balancing implementation that the switch uses. On the Netgears that we
use, it
> > doesn't start using the second pipe until the first one is saturated.
>
> That's one of my worries.  It seems that the Linux->switch
> transmissions are probably pretty well handled with 802.3ad, but I'm
> uncertain what the vendors support in the other direction as far as
> how they send their packets.  The goal is to share the PPS load evenly
> across the multiple NICs, and possibly even flow-based caching might
> be handy (though other posts seem to indicate that the latency doesn't
> matter for Out-Of-Order packets.)

I'm sure that Cisco switches allow you to tune some of these parameters.

[deleted]

> > In my personal experiences, Asterisk 1.2 fell over at around 220
> > concurrent calls using SIPP. As a result, I generally limit the number
of calls
> > any single Asterisk server handles to 200 maximum.
> >
> > Based on some of the testing that Jeremy was doing in the Code Zone
> > 3 years ago at Astricon, 1.4 made some improvements to that, but still
> > topped out at about 400 concurrent calls.
> >
> > I'd love to see 10,000 calls on a single Asterisk server, but wow..
> > that's going to require an incredible amount of effort as well as
changes
> > to the Asterisk code base!
>
> I agree that 10k calls is a big challenge, both with Asterisk as well
> as the device itself.  Work will certainly need to be done.
>
> But 400 calls as a maximum seems a bit low by today's standards.

As I said, this was three years ago! ;)

> Have you seen the documented tests by the guys at Transnexus?

Yes I have and I am encouraged. I'm even looking at Transnexus as a solution
currently, so their performance information is top of mind.

> They're getting 1000 G.711 on relatively inexpensive hardware ($1000)
without
> any tuning of any kind.  I'm not disputing your results; but what is
> different between the two scenarios that there is such a significant
> delta?  Just age of data (3 years ago on 1.4...)?

Age and Experience probably. When we were doing that in the codezone, it was
about as far from a "lab" environment as you could get. I'm sure there were
lots of things that were overlooked, or not tested thoroughly.