[asterisk-dev] asterisk with osp performance test results

Di-Shi Sun di-shi at transnexus.com
Wed Oct 22 18:36:21 CDT 2008

All,

In 2007 we published the results of a performance test of Asterisk as a Back to Back User Agent (B2BUA). Based on the helpful feedback from the mailing list we improved our test procedures and re-ran a new performance test case of Asterisk configured as a B2BUA.

Our test platform hosting Asterisk was a $1000 Dell PowerEdge 840 with a Quad Core Xeon X3220, 2x4M cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB and 4 GB RAM. Redhat V5 was the operating system. The test was configured to simulate a wholesale VoIP operation with three minute call durations and an average of two call retries for every completed call. This was an "out of the box" Asterisk configuration with default settings and no optimizations.

We found that Asterisk on the test server could handle approximately 1000 simultaneous calls with no codec transalation. This works out to be about a $1 per port investment for a B2BUA platform.

When calls were transcoded from G.711 to G.729, the call capacity fell to 320 simultaneous calls. With the added cost of of the G.729 codec royalty and the lower call capacity, the cost increases to approximately $13.50 per port

You can download the test results and all the test plan details from:

http://www.transnexus.com/White%20Papers/Performance_Test_of_Asterisk_v1-4.htm

Di-Shi Sun
VoIP Routing, Accounting, Security
www.TransNexus.com