[asterisk-dev] Asterisk scalability

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Feb 20 14:00:28 CST 2009

John Todd wrote:

> Hypothetical: My big router receives a 10gpbs ethernet from "the
> Internet".  Then, that router has three 1gbps interfaces that feed
> into my Asterisk box (which has three NICs.)  Thus, all of the traffic
> appears to come from the MAC address on the distant side of the 10gbps
> link.  I could generate the traffic from a zillion different
> endpoints, so hopefully UDP port hashing would work.  Would this work
> appropriately for spreading load on 802.3ad?

If your 'big router' has three NICs connected to you, it will have three
MAC addresses for those NICs, and that's what you will see on your
incoming packets, not the MAC address of the router on the other side.

If your 'big router' is actually a switch (which I think is what you
really meant), then your logic is correct.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com