[asterisk-dev] Asterisk scalability (was: Improve scheduler performance under high load)

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Feb 16 07:46:35 CST 2009

----- "Johansson Olle E" <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> I think this together with the changes done by murf in the area of
> hash tables will mean that we done some major work to build a new
> generation of Asterisk that scales better than the old versions on the
>
> current server architectures! Impressed!
>
> Now, can anyone start a discussion on the way we handle threads? If we
>
> run on a quad-core or a system with dual quad core CPUs, we have
> capactiy for an enormous quantity of calls, with at least one thread
>
> per call. Can a modern Linux/Unix thread scheduler handle 10 000
> threads efficently?

Some work is also being done with the new bridging core to change this some. There is a bridging
module called bridge_multiplexed which groups up to 4 bridges (or 8 channels) into the same operating
thread. We'll probably need to play with it to find the sweet spot on number of channels but hopefully
this will help things.

--
Joshua Colp
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer