[asterisk-dev] MWI issue, and maybe feature request

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Feb 13 12:11:21 CST 2009

Hoggins! wrote:
> It's been said that one can fire MWI by touching a msgXXXX.txt file in
> the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/[context]/[voicemailbox]/INBOX. It
> happen to be unable to achieve this behavior from my Asterisk server.
>
> So I was wondering if this trick is reproductible on recent versions of
> Asterisk (mine is 1.6.0.5), since these informations found on wikis seem
> to be a little old. Is this simple msgXXXX.txt file creation still
> triggering MWI on registered clients ?

If you're doing this with Asterisk 1.6, you'll need to enable the option
"pollmailboxes" in voicemail.conf for Asterisk to notice what you have
done.  Otherwise, it expects that all modifications to the mailbox are
being done through Asterisk.

See UPGRADE-1.6.txt and voicemail.conf.sample for more information.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead