[asterisk-dev] MWI issue, and maybe feature request

Hoggins! fuckspam at wheres5.com
Fri Feb 13 12:05:00 CST 2009

Hello,

It's been said that one can fire MWI by touching a msgXXXX.txt file in
the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/[context]/[voicemailbox]/INBOX. It
happen to be unable to achieve this behavior from my Asterisk server.

So I was wondering if this trick is reproductible on recent versions of
Asterisk (mine is 1.6.0.5), since these informations found on wikis seem
to be a little old. Is this simple msgXXXX.txt file creation still
triggering MWI on registered clients ?

On my machine, Asterisk fires MWI *only at startup* (restart gracefully)
if I have previously created such a file. If I want my phones to receive
another correct MWI (by deleting the file so the new messages count
would be 0), I have to restart Asterisk again. Is this behavior normal ?

If so, I would like to suggest a feature request. How about a dialplan
function that would trigger MWI to a particular client, and accept
parameters, such as a "false" arbitrary number of new messages ? Of
course, it is always possible to use sipsak to achieve this, but I was
just wondering if this could be possible in Asterisk.

Hope all this is quite clear.

Thanks

    Hoggins!