[asterisk-dev] manager event conversion strategy (was: oej: branch oej/managergames r174538 - /team/oej/managergames/)

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Tue Feb 10 10:51:52 CST 2009

10 feb 2009 kl. 17.33 skrev Russell Bryant:

> On Feb 10, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Johansson Olle E wrote:
>>> Events already automatically have an entity ID added to them
>>> automatically by the event core.  This was needed for sharing events
>>> between servers.  The entitiy ID looks just like it does for DUNDi.
>>> It's a unique identifier, in the same form as a MAC address.  When
>>> Asterisk starts, we try to grab one from a network interface, or it
>>> can be configured in asterisk.conf.  Does this handle what you had
>>> in
>>> mind?
>> And we also have systemname, which is easier to handle by
>> humans... Yes, I saw what you did in the ais code.
>> I thought that entity ID was only used in AIS, not internally in
>> Asterisk.
>

> It's used internally, as well.  I went with the EID because it has
> nice properties that fit what was needed:
>
> 1) A unique ID can be determined automatically, which makes
> configuration easier in most cases.
>
> 2) Since this is a unique ID that has to go in _every_ event, and may
> also result in a comparison that must be done on _every_ event, I
> wanted to restrict it to something small.  It is a 6 byte payload.
>
> We could come up with a way to display a friendlier string for each
> EID for CLI display if we come across a need to display it on the
> CLI.  I suppose it could be useful for debugging.

Systemname?

We might want a table like /etc/hosts so that we can make some error
messages more
admin-friendly. That way we can say

"Your system Obelix-02 (11:22:33:44) is causing an error in the
Asterisk space-time fabric"
instead of just the entity ID. Mac and IPv6 addresses are not for
human use.

/O