[asterisk-dev] manager event conversion strategy (was: oej: branch oej/managergames r174538 - /team/oej/managergames/)

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Feb 10 10:33:25 CST 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Johansson Olle E wrote:
>> Events already automatically have an entity ID added to them
>> automatically by the event core.  This was needed for sharing events
>> between servers.  The entitiy ID looks just like it does for DUNDi.
>> It's a unique identifier, in the same form as a MAC address.  When
>> Asterisk starts, we try to grab one from a network interface, or it
>> can be configured in asterisk.conf.  Does this handle what you had in
>> mind?
> And we also have systemname, which is easier to handle by
> humans... Yes, I saw what you did in the ais code.
> I thought that entity ID was only used in AIS, not internally in
> Asterisk.

It's used internally, as well.  I went with the EID because it has
nice properties that fit what was needed:

1) A unique ID can be determined automatically, which makes
configuration easier in most cases.

2) Since this is a unique ID that has to go in _every_ event, and may
also result in a comparison that must be done on _every_ event, I
wanted to restrict it to something small.  It is a 6 byte payload.

We could come up with a way to display a friendlier string for each
EID for CLI display if we come across a need to display it on the
CLI.  I suppose it could be useful for debugging.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead