[asterisk-dev] [policy] Language specific prompts

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Feb 7 09:10:12 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:26:25PM +0100, Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen schrieb:
> > On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:57:32AM -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> >> Ever so often, we get requests on the bugtracker, stating that this or that
> >> language is not pronounced correctly.  For English, Spanish, and French,
> >> where we have standardized those prompts (and documented each), this
> >> isn't a problem.  More recently, for someone who brought the Hebrew language
> >> to Asterisk, I required the reporter to create an Open Document Spreadsheet
> >> (commonly written by OpenOffice.org) detailing every single prompt, the module
> >> in which it is required, and the native language script, to be used by a
> >> native language speaker in creating a new set of prompts.
> >
> > Off-topic: Is there a reason that document is not plain text?
>
> >> I am proposing, as a matter of policy, that anybody wishing to make ANY
> >> change whatsoever to multi-language support, that they should have to document
> >> every single prompt in that native language, in a fashion that is identical to
> >> the Hebrew document (which may be found in doc/lang/).
>
> > Do you want something in the lines of:
> >
> >   filename	meaning (English)	Words (original script)
> >
> > The text of the English sound files often spans more than one line per
> > entry. E.g. 5 lines or so for the "codezone".
>
> What about CSV/TSV?

If we have a long text, I'm not really sure it needs to fit in a single
line.

BTW, one thing I forgot was that in case the respective script is an RTL
one (Hebrew, Arabic, etc.), most naive displays of the text would render
the paragraph as LTR (as it ebgins with English text) and thus the
original script part may not be displayed properly. Specifically if it
has an English letter or two in it.

Not as easily parsable. Not as easy to edit. TSV would be better.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com