[asterisk-dev] Implementing priodic announces in Dial

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Feb 2 12:29:57 CST 2009

Mark Michelson wrote:
> Certainly an interesting idea, and I can think of a couple of methods to go
> about doing it.
>
> The first method is along the lines you were implying, which is to add logic to
> the wait_for_answer function in some way to play periodic announcements at
> intervals. If you want to see the pure mechanics of such an operation, you can
> see app_queue.c, specifically the say_periodic_announce function. That will show
> you how to stop music on hold and play a different message. It will have to be
> different in the Dial application, though, since you will have to be able to
> detect an answer frame at the same time that you are playing the periodic
> announcement to the caller.
>
> Another route to go with this would be to add the periodic announcement support
> to res_musiconhold instead of app_dial. This is somewhat similar to what Nicolas
> suggested a bit earlier, though, so you may not be keen to the idea.

For some more ramblings about implementing similar functionality, see
the following thread:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2007-August/029253.html

I actually don't remember what happened to this.  I guess I lost
interest and never finished it.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead