[asterisk-dev] srtp

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Tue Dec 29 14:41:04 CST 2009

On Dec 24, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Hans Witvliet wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If i may ask, is there any development in progress concerning secure
> conversations, like srtp? Or is this just a pending bounty?
>
> It looks like the guys from cryptcall.com are offering a commercial
> product, with one of them is based on asterisk...
>
> Hans

Hans -
   SRTP is one of the projects that has been languishing for years
with Asterisk (heck, I tested it with static keys back in 2005.)
There now exists code with an appropriate license in the issue
tracker, but the complexity of the patch set is fairly significant.  I
would VERY MUCH welcome a review by a few people who have a good
coding clue and some time.  It is my intention to see if Digium can
put resources to getting it implemented, since I think that security
is an underrated problem set (Hello, broken GSM encryption!) and we
should get Asterisk up the point where SRTP becomes a "default" for
new devices.

  The SRTP patch set:  https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=5413

  PS: Is cryptcall.com selling/distributing Asterisk with SRTP?  We'd
very much like to have them contribute back to the community with
their code and experiences.  Their website is quite unfriendly.  How
did you learn of their use of Asterisk?

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/