[asterisk-dev] Changing function name of a static function and updating doxygen doc in 1.4

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Sat Dec 5 10:52:13 CST 2009

Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> 4 dec 2009 kl. 18.21 skrev SVN commits to the Digium repositories:
>
>> Author: dvossel
>> Date: Fri Dec  4 11:21:34 2009
>> New Revision: 233116

>> Log:
>> document and rename strip_control() in app_voicemail
>
> I just wanted to discuss whether this kind of patches that doesn't change any functionality belongs in released code. It doesn't add to user documentation either.
>
> There are many sites out there that keeps track on all patches to release code, which are supposed to be bug fixes only (and admin documentation upgrades). I don't see this change belonging in that category.
>
> I know it doesn't hurt, but it adds un-necessary work to the review process of the admins of these systems. I would like us to avoid these kind of changes to releases in the future. It belongs and should often be done to trunk though.

Well, you cut out part of the commit message, which is important to this
discussion.  This commit was the result of a bug report.  The bug report
is that the function did more than just strip control characters.  The
fix was to make the intention of the code more clear to avoid similar
reports or confusion in the future.  I am perfectly fine with this change.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software