[asterisk-dev] app_meetme call for testing: Roll call, eject all, mute all, record in-conf

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Fri Dec 4 17:38:53 CST 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Ryan Finnie wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have submitted a patch against SVN for new admin DTMF menu
> functionality in the MeetMe app.  The patch is at:
>
> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=16379
>
> [snip]
>
> So please give the patch a try, and report your findings back at the
> issue tracker, per lmadsen's request.  Thank you!
>
> Ryan Finnie

Ryan -
   This is great stuff!  Again, one of those features that when I look
at it I say "Well, why didn't we have that already?"

   In some discussion about this earlier today about what a great
feature it is, I brought up the topic that app_meetme is getting
layered in some serious capabilities which possibly aren't ideally
suited to the existing conferencing method as it stands in that
particular app.  Relying on the packet timers that app_meetme uses is
not ideal, and I've really hoped that app_confbridge would start
taking some of these features.

   I'm seeing distinct FUD circulating around app_meetme, where those
who have used Asterisk in the past dismiss *ANY* conferencing
capability with Asterisk because of the reliance on the Zap/DAHDI
timers.  This is especially important with virtualized environments
where getting timing right is tricky for those approaching Asterisk
for the first time.  It seems that app_confbridge with it's newer
methods of bridging audio together would be a much better solution to
be promoting and improving upon.

   Is there any chance that you could also write your patches for
app_confbridge so that people can start to treat app_meetme as a
second-choice conferencing tool?

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/