[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6.1 branch and deprecated "call-limit" setting in sip.conf / device state / hints

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Wed Aug 26 09:56:31 CDT 2009

It has come to my attention that the "call-limit" setting in sip.conf
has been deprecated beginning with the 1.6.1 branch of Asterisk.  Both
the UPGRADE-1.6.txt file and the sample sip.conf configuration file say
to use the GROUP and GROUP_COUNT function to enforce arbitrary call
limits, which I'm perfectly fine with.

My problem is that the "call-limit" setting in sip.conf also turned on
device state tracking in SIP channel driver, which is necessary for
hints to work, as well as some functionality in call queues.  (By
default, the SIP channel driver doesn't keep track of device state, as
it takes more resources.)

My question is this: if "call-limit" is deprecated, how do I tell the
SIP channel driver that I'd still like it to keep track of device state?

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager