[asterisk-dev] [feature] Support for relative paths for all "say" functions

Nicolas Chapleau nicchap at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:48:21 CDT 2009

> I agree that this seems to duplicate LANGUAGE, but in fact it
> only complements it. The LANGUAGE field is still used and the
> VOCAB_RELATIVE_PATH only appends to it. If the functions in "SAY" had
> relative paths just like the playback and background functions do, this
> would not be an issue, but they are hard coded. I would like
> to implement this but I would need to change the syntax and I do not
> wish to do so for compatibility reasons.

So let's try for a real example then; are you saying that you'd have
French prompts installed under 'fr', but want some specific variants for
digits that would be used only by code that wanted to speak digits?

If so, you could install the specific digits *only* under fr_special,
and set LANGUAGE to fr_special; this will cause Asterisk to find the
digits under fr_special, but the non-digit prompts under plain fr.

Response:

I agree, but there would be lot's of flip flopping around on the LANGUAGE flag. This would also render "say" functions

to not play the correct language syntax for numbers, dates and times as the functions are not aware on how to play fr_special1, fr_special2, ...

NicChap