[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits] renaming canreinvite

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Aug 4 01:53:50 CDT 2009

3 aug 2009 kl. 22.48 skrev SVN commits to the Digium repositories:

> Author: kpfleming
> Date: Mon Aug  3 15:48:48 2009
> New Revision: 210190

> Log:
> Rename 'canreinvite' option to 'directmedia', with backwards
> compatibility.
>
> It is clear from multiple mailing list, forum, wiki and other sorts
> of posts
> that users don't really understand the effects that the
> 'canreinvite' config
> option actually has, and that in some cases they think that setting
> it to 'no'
> will actually cause various other features (T.38, MOH, etc.) to not
> work properly,
> when in fact this is not the case. This patch changes the proper
> name of the
> option to what it should have been from the beginning
> ('directmedia'), but
> preserves backwards compatibility for existing configurations.

Finally - THANK YOU! Developer of the month award from the Swedish
user group :-)

Some extra clarification for the mail archives:

The "canreinvite" option that was renamed in this patch has *nothing*
to do with whether Asterisk accepts inbound re-invites from various
services or devices. We always accept acceptable re-invites,
regardless of the "canreinvite" setting.

A re-invite is a way in the SIP protocol to change properties of a
session during a call. In Asterisk we're using it to redirect media
streams to go peer2peer, in other situations it's used to change media
streams, to add media streams (like a video stream) or close media
streams. Putting a call on hold is done by using a re-invite to mark a
media stream as inactive.

This setting has been badly named from start and I'm very happy that
Kevin fixed it.

Regards,
/Olle