[asterisk-dev] Avoiding RTP flows (new topic)

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Apr 23 02:53:44 CDT 2009

Asterisk *cannot* *work* the way that a *proxy* works.

It is not a proxy.  The difference here is an essential, a conceptual
one that translates into the very basis of the respective programmatic
architectures and runtime characteristics.

Asterisk can be optimised.  It can't be ontologically redefined.

Venefax wrote:

> I think that in my company and in many companies, if we could use Asterisk
> the way Openser works, we would save tons of money in training and learning
> curve. Human talent is far more expensive than iron. I wonder why we cannot
> change Asterisk a little so directrpt=yes does in fact work.

Asterisk
and we've spent quite a lot of time discussing this on the mailing
list and
during asterisk developer meetings. The videocaps branch has been around
for many years now, which is one of the proposals for improved media
negotiation, even though it's not focusing on the directrtp issue,
it's one way
of solving it.

--
Alex Balashov